Wednesday 14 September 2011

VEGAS: 23rd August (Poker) - Part 2

Day/Night 7: Tuesday 23rd August (Poker)- Part 2

SESSION #23
O'Shea's
$1/$2
Bought In For: $200
5:30PM-6:45PM
75 Minutes





With my confidence sky high I pop in, for the third time, for a session at O'Shea's. I'm feeling good and decide it'll be OK to keep knocking back those beers that they pump you with so regularly at this place. There is just one memorable hand:

Key Hand #1
It's folded all round to me in late position and I look down at K 7 of spades. In line with my newly-found LAG approach, I chuck in a $5 bet and get called by both blinds. The flop comes 7 9 J with two spades giving me bottom pair and the flush draw. It's checked to me so I throw in a $15 bet. The small blind folds while the villain in the big-blind, another English fella who's a James Sudworth look-a-like, rams it up to $40 which is about half his stack.

With a pair of 7s and a flush draw in the pipeline but feeling frisky and fresh, I decide it's worth a stab at an all-in and push my stack into the middle. He makes the call and flips over 9 J for the two pair. My move may have been a bit suspect but I have plenty of outs including kings, sevens and all the spades. A beautiful spade hits the turn and I collect a $90 on that hand.

Let's just have a peak at what Poker Stove says about it all:


---------------

Towards the end of the session an interesting moment occurs. A good player approaches the table; I know he's good because he's about to sit in an available seat opposite me but weighs up the situation and, seeing my large stack, elects to sit to my left instead. He then proceeds to take out his Ipad which, I assume, is not something a typical player at O'Shea's would usually do.  He also seems pretty confident and, sure enough, does indeed prove to be a fairly competent player.

Anyway, it's the end of a hand and the board is showing 2 3 4 5 of hearts with another unconnected random card. Mr Ipad flips over the Ace of hearts and an irrelevant black 5 for the straight-flush. He wins the hand and as he's scooping up the pot someone then mentions the bonus and the dealer is, in fact, asked if this qualifies as a bonus hand. The dealer then proceeds to say to Mr Ipad, with a cheer, "Yes it is, you've just won $200!" Mr Ipad then cheers himself but only for the dealer to say, "No it's not, only joking." Mr Ipad is evidently not impressed.

I then ask the dealer whether he would have won anything if both his hole cards had played and he answers in the affirmative. I then turn to Mr Ipad and say something consoling like "Well, don't let it tilt you" and he just sits there clearly annoyed and replies, "That's ok, I just won't be tipping the dealer for the rest of the game." We then get Awkwardville for a while.

To be honest, I did feel sympathy for Mr Ipad as I do think it's out of order to be telling players they've won $200 when it's blatantly untrue. In fact, this kind of chimes in with the idea I've read on forums, that decent players really aren't particularly liked by the O'Shea's dealers as they actually want to attract the weaker, party-type players who prefer to splash the cash and, possibly, tip more readily. 

Profit/Loss For Session: +$75
Profit/Loss For Day: +$52
Profit/Loss For Trip: +$699

_______________________________________________________________

SESSION #24
Mirage
$1/$2
Bought In For: $300
7:45PM-9:30PM
75 Minutes




With my brain telling me I'm playing shit-hot poker I head on over to Mirage for the last session of the day. True to form, the game plays out similar to the Caesars Palace session and I find myself playing many pots but picking up fairly small rewards. Fortunately, I'm getting the cards (AA twice, AK and QQ) but unfortunately the table is a serious swarm of nits and, as I say, I'm just not getting paid.

My best win is when I pick up about $80 after my AK hits a straight on the river. I just think that had I been playing at The Empire I would have got paid off a ton. Here, wins come mainly in drips and drabs. It does seem to be generally the case that US players are more nitty overall than UK players with the US folk being happy to sit and wait for strong draws, the nuts or hands very close to the nuts.

This can make them easy to read and predictable and, in actual fact, it can make you play at the table for longer because you just don't feel threatened by that many tricky players.

Profit/Loss For Session: +$80
Profit/Loss For Day: +$132
Profit/Loss For Trip: +$779
_____________________________________________
 

No comments:

Post a Comment