Saturday 19 November 2011

Live Session #63: The Road To Recovery Continues

This evening past as a typical "Wobbly" live poker session should: sober, at The Empire cash game tables (only) and ending in profit. With just one pint consumed at a boozer with the missus beforehand, I entered The Empire at just after 7PM and settled down to play at a freshly opening table - ALWAYS the best type as far as I'm concerned. I made sure I started with more chips than anyone else and bought in for £300. After about 30 or 40 minutes, I had the table sussed and figured there weren't any particularly tricky customers to watch out for. Play was fairly loose but fairly bad into the bargain - just right I guess. 

Thanks largely to a safe, low-variance, ABC style (which was all that was needed at this table) I got up from my seat at about 10:45PM with a small 3-figure profit that easily wiped away the demons from last week's drunken exploits at The Fox - and then some. There were a few interesting hands but, really, my sessions at the moment are more about testing my mindset, playing solidly and keeping off the booze. I guess the best one was where I won a 4-way pot without really having to think at all and getting paid off about £25 each from 3 players. Here it is:

Key Hand
I look down at K 2 of hearts on the button and limp in with the others which seems to be the only preflop move that people know at this table. The flop comes very low, with two hearts, and it's raised £7 by the player UTG. It's called twice so it's a no-brainer call from me as well (ok, maybe I could raise but I figure I want people staying in the pot). The pot is about £36.

The turn is a non-heart and another low card and it looks like there might be a straight out there. It's checked all round and I elect to check as well to see the free card. The river is a heart and it also makes a 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 straight on the board. I bung in £15 and everyone calls so I take down a nice pot of around £100.
---------------
After tipping the floor manager guy £5 for saving me £300 last week (by suggesting I go home when I was drunk) I did actually start wandering through Chinatown to have a peak at The Fox. But something told me that this might be a big mistake - and so I bought me a lamb donner kebab instead and jumped on the bus for the ride home.

A good evening really.

No comments:

Post a Comment