Thursday 29 December 2011

A Late Surge At The Online Game

I'm probably typing this too soon but with just two days to go now before the new year is upon us, I bring good news on the online front. Over the last few weeks I've been storming the virtual tables to the extent that my faith in my abilities as an online poker player have been well and truly restored. Yep, the brief run may only be a very small sample but after some really sound play at the cash games from all levels from 50nl up to 200nl, I'll be closing 2011 as a break-even online player. Hurrah!

It may have not been my greatest year at the online game but at least this late burst gives me the boost in confidence needed to give me hope and optimism for the new year. Good results and friendly cards always help, of course, but I've really been encouraged by my discipline, table selection skills and my playing and quitting the tables at the right times. Oh, and I think I've fixed a few leaks along the way as well - so it's all good, good, good. In fact, I'm so encouraged that I've even transferred the necessary money over in my bank accounts to prepare to make my second big deposit into PKR to ensure my bankroll/investment is complete and in place for 2012.

---------------- 

This, by the way, is my penultimate post. On the 31st December I'll sign off with a final message and write my final farewells. However, I'd just like to take this opportunity to write briefly, once again, of the BIGGEST change that has occurred in me since I took up the reigns of this blog at the end of last year; that is, the change I've had  in my attitude towards my poker bankroll. I'm re-emphasising this precisely because it's something that only became a revelation to me on that night I lost over £300 in one hand while holding KK and when my villain hit his 10 on the river to complete his set - an unpleasant experience at the time, of course, but one which really did turn on the biggest light-bulb in my head this year. You really do tend to have the most enlightening experiences in this game when you've suffered your biggest losses.

I refer, of course, to the idea that your entire bankroll - and the cash held in it - must never be looked upon as actually belonging to you. If a poker player is convinced that his abilities are sound (based on a history of a decent track record), has absolute faith that he will make the right decisions at the table, adheres to his bankroll management strategy and is of balanced enough mind to know when he is tilting (and, at the very least, minimise his losses) then the actual money in the bankroll should really mean diddly-squat.

--Personally, this new attitude towards the poker bankroll along with a continued desire to study the game on a regular basis in order to get better and better, means that I really do think 2012 will be a good year for me at both the real and the virtual felt.

Shuffle Up And Deal Baby!!

No comments:

Post a Comment