Wednesday 5 October 2011

More Twaddle - Just Thinking Aloud

As I mentioned in my last post, I have come to realise that online poker is no longer the money-spinner it may have been and I have, therefore, decided to wind down my online operations once and for all this year. I have made this decision because in order for it to be "worth it", online poker requires a hell of a lot more effort than I am prepared (or am even able) to put in. The fact that the games are now far tougher and require a higher degree of skill makes it even less attractive for me now and one year of break-even online poker is more than enough to tell me this.

Concentrating more on £1/£2 live cash game poker, of course, is my way forward now and just suits my whole attitude and approach to the game just fine. There are less hands to play per hour certainly but this is not necessarily a downside for me. I actually prefer to mull things over, study real opponents and to take my time at the game. It is a "people" game after all - so let's look at people rather than a characterless avatar. Also, I was never much good at multi-tabling online either and enjoy single-tabling much more anyway.

There is also the social aspect as well and I usually don't mind having a chat with other players at the table; it also gets me out of the house and away from the computer screen as well! Hopefully, this new route will not only be enough for me to stay a winner at the game but will also help me enjoy the game a lot more as well - and give me time to work on other more meaningful projects in the new year.
---------------

I know I've burbled on about this many-a-time before but as a final way of convincing myself that online poker is dead for me - here is what I've learnt you need to have if you really want to make serious money at the online cash games:

1.  A substantial bankroll of at least $10K (minimum) but probably more in the region of $15K-$20K.

2.  The time, ability, peaceful environment and sheer stamina to play around 25K hands per month. This requires regularly 4-tabling the $1/$2 cash games, at the very least. (Or, maybe, 6-8 tabling $0.50/$1.)

3.  The patience to use poker tracking software and to study it, in depth, on a regular basis.

4.  Confidence in your ability (ideally evidenced by a decent track-record of around 6-12 months) to beat the game in the long-term.

5.  A support group of players who can talk through hands and to discuss hands in order for everyone to improve.

6.  The mental strength to overcome short-term loses of four or even five-figure amounts - and to have the emotional power to carry on regardless and to play A-game poker.
--------------

I reckon I've twaddled on more than enough now about how I'm going to set out my stall for the rest of the year - you're probably sick of hearing it but I just wanted to get it all clear in my head.

As I said before, this weekend will be my first live session in over a month and will be a great test for me (win or lose) to see how I handle the situation I find myself in.

Bring it on you bastards!!

1 comment:

  1. Here are my thoughts

    1 - True but everyone I know who plays poker for a living started off with a bankroll of no more than a few hundred $$s, myself included.

    2 - You build up to this, I started off 4 tabling 5c/10c and worked my way up as do a lot of players. You can't expect to make consistent money at 50c/$1+ without having put in the work.

    3 - It helps but isn't that important IMO

    4 - Agreed

    5 - Very important this has been the single biggest influence in improving my game.

    6 - You get used to it as it's all relevant to the stakes you play, I can remember steaming about loosing a $15 pot when my Internet cut out once.

    For most becoming a winning play at online poker is a long and drawn out process. The same goes for live poker, the problem with live poker is that you play so few hands it's very hard to get any real experience.

    GL for the future.

    ReplyDelete