Sunday 26 December 2010

Five of the Rest

My previous post outlined the five most popular online poker sites. In this post, I'll give brief reviews on five of the rest:

LADBROKES POKER (MICROGAMING NETWORK)
My understanding is that Ladbrokes have now joined the Microgaming network. When I was registered with them a few years back they used the Microgaming software but functioned independently. The site I did use, who were attached to the Microgaming group, was Bet365 but they've now migrated over to iPoker. For me, I found the Microgaming software to be fine but seemed to bump into a lot of knowledgeable players. The site offered a solid experience but the traffic was slow and, because it tended to house good players, table selection was a long process and usually resulted in me just going elsewhere. I've got no reason to think that is different nowadays. There is no rakeback here for me either.

POKER HEAVEN (INTERNATIONAL POKER NETWORK)
This network has only recently had its name changed from The Boss Network and, for me, has the most classy-looking, well-designed tables of the whole lot. Obviously, each site has a slightly different colour-scheme but its shiny and sleek look just puts it on the top as far as table design is concerned. When it comes to the software, the lobby filters are extremely temperamental and on many occasions just don't work. Unfortunately, the account balance is inconveniently shown only in euros and you have to faff around to get the dollars or pounds equivalent. For me, competition is acceptably average and they do offer a rakeback deal if you rake in excess of 100 euros a month. As far as I know, I think this may be on offer to all new players - which is very nice.

888POKER
Like Party Poker, this site (formerly known as Pacific Poker) had a reputation for housing plenty of poor players. However, it does seem to have tightened up and you will see plenty of regular players at the $1/$2 cash games. In saying that though, my MTT record at this site is superb. Its software has the reputation for being atrocious and I'm sorry to say this is 100% justified - it's awful and easily the worst of the bunch even after its long-awaited upgrade. Unfortunately, I don't know of any rakeback scheme so for the odd distraction and change of scene, this may well be worth the odd visit on a small deposit for the occasional MTT only. 

  PKR
With its unique selling point being a game that replicates the live game, this 3D site is not exactly for those who put winrate or hands per hour on their top priority list. For those who like to take it easy, or for beginners who like a slow and leisurely single-table experience, PKR is certainly online poker with a pleasant difference. For one, the human avatars give it character and really add substance to the gameplay. Be aware though, the site still attracts its share of multi-tabling solid regulars. As you might expect the software does require that you have a meaty system if you want to enjoy the graphics on the top settings or wish to multi-table smoothly. It has a forum for its members and a very generous reward system.    
 
ABSOLUTE POKER (CEREUS NETWORK)
To be honest, it's been a long while since I played at Absolute Poker, maybe around three years or so, and it's only really included here to make up the numbers. On going back for a peak, there don't seem to be any wild changes. Its lobby has a similar look and colour scheme to Full-Tilt, while the tables and chips resemble the look of Poker Stars. For most players, I think, ever since its credibilty came into question due to the indiscretions of its sister site (Ultimate Bet), Absolute Poker has really been in the shadows of Stars and Full-Tilt.

-------------------

By the new year, I'll post the final instalment of my PKR Live 5 experience. I also need to give some thought to my bankroll management plan for 2011 as posted in my "Plan For 2011" post. It may need just a slight tweak but nothing substantial.

No comments:

Post a Comment