Thursday 16 June 2011

And The Dip Goes On

Getting the money in good against mediocre short-stacking players is a large part of what profitable cash game play is all about. But when those mediocre players keep hitting their cards, after you've manipulated it so that they put all their money in on chasing those unlikely draws, it can get a little disheartening.

After my stratospheric start to the online game this month, it was only going to be a matter of time before variance was going to turn round and strike me down. Over the last couple of days, I've endured a few bad beats at the hands of average players who are hitting their draws and, sure enough, my bankroll has taken a bit of a hit. A bit of a bummer really. The main thing, though, is that I'm still playing fine and with the odds generally stacked in my favour.

---------------

As we've been trundling through the week, I've really been considering taking myself off for a few mid-week evening live poker sessions at The Empire. With the tourist season in full swing, work getting a bit boring and with the sunny weather upon us I've been thinking that this really isn't such a bad idea. Unfortunately, I've just been so tired at the end of the day that a late-afternoon siesta has been in order when I've arrived home; meaning that by the time 7PM arrives, it's just too late.

Yeh, I could bus it and tube it out to Leicester Square to start an 8:30PM session - but that means an arduous late-night journey home and makes the next morning's "get-up" extremely difficult. (And facing students on the next day, after a big losing session, is just pants!) Furthermore, with these thoughts hanging over me while I'm actually playing, I just think it'll be difficult to sustain my A-game standard of play throughout.

Nope, unless I just jump on the train and head on down to Charing Cross straight after work, it looks like it's just weekend poker for me - for the time being at least.  

No comments:

Post a Comment