Thursday 2 June 2011

Live Session #33 (Happy In Yer Skin: Part 1)

After tonight I'm convinced that when you sit down to a poker table, you have to be damn sure that you're happy in your skin. I mean, you gotta be 100% happy in your skin before you sit down to play. Tonight, I registered for the £48 qualifier for the Fox Poker Club's £325 main event tourney and then took myself off to a nearby pub for a pint to relax before the start. I returned to the club and sat down at Table 4, Seat 8 but I became immediately unhappy. Why? It was right on the bottleneck for waitresses to enter the playing area and for players to approach the tables and take their seats.

Anyway, I took my seat with the aim of toughing it out but, it was no good, people passed behind me continually and pretty much every person would nudge my chair in so doing; if only ever so slightly. It was absolutely doing my head in and my attention just wasn't where it should have been. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to play my A game while I stayed on that seat. I approached the floor manager to let him know of the situation and he said he could place me elsewhere but I said I'd try a bit longer but practically as soon as I sat down the nudging continued and I was livid.

I got up and told the floor manager I wasn't going to sit there and he said he would resit me as soon as possible. I sat out, he took my chips aside, and I started watching a cash game. Strangely, alternates were called to the tourney before me, thus causing me to ask the floor manager if I had actually been put at the bottom of the pile whereupon he replied by saying that he could sit me next if I wanted... Right, so he kind of just forgot about me... and now I really was annoyed. He'd just kind of treated me like I was some sort of arse. Now I was tilted and there was no way I was going to sit in that tourney so I asked for a refund which, at least, he did honour.

The point is, you just have to make sure you are totally happy when sitting down at the poker table. If you hand over good money to a poker room to play their tourney, they need to make sure that everything is right for the players. If something is not right, you owe it in the name of fairness and all that is right and good for the game to make the problem known.

In my next post, I’ll let you know how I got on in that cash game I had my eye on.

No comments:

Post a Comment