Sunday 30 January 2011

Live Session #2: Long Live The Empire! (Part 1)

I have just arrived home after my second live poker session of the year in London town - and I have to say that I'm quite a happy chappy. Here's my trip report all about it:

Before leaving, I took out £230 from the cash machine but gave £20 of that to my daughter as a quick treat after she got an email from a university saying they had given her an unconditional offer. Armed with £210, I left home at about 5ish and stepped out into yet another very cold day. When the hell with this terrible weather ever fricken end!? I arrived at The Fox Club at 6PM and went to pay my entry fee for the £35 freeze-out but the bloke behind the counter was kind of busy and ignored me so I sat down at a £1/£1 cash table.

I kept £60 back to enter the MTT later on and also in case I needed a few beers. I sat at the table with £150. With possibly one of the worst dealers I have come across (who kept having to check with the players that the amounts were right) I started to play pretty poorly but still managed to spin my stack up to £200. Then the spewing started and I proceeded to play even worse and ended up £10 down. Annoyingly, at the time, at around 6:30-6:45 I was about to pay for the £35 freeze-out but by this time there was a queue practically tailing back out the door so I didn't bother. (As it happened, I'm glad I didn't.) At 9:30PM I decided my table image was shit and I was playing far too weak so I left to give The Empire a try. (And I'm glad I did.)

I have to say, at this point, that I wasn't too impressed with the running of the cash games tonight. Apparently there was a waiting list of about 8 players for the cash tables but no communication between the dealer and the desk. In the end, the dealer just allowed any players who were hanging around to sit down and play when there was an empty seat. Admittedly they were busy (the queue at 6:30 for the £35 freezeout was the longest I have ever seen) but their system for seating players at the cash tables just seems shoddy to me. 

Anyway, after about three and a half hours of zero joy at The Fox and after consuming the greasiest lamb kebab ever at Leicester Square, I made my way to The Empire for some £1/£2. At this point I had exactly £200 and sat down at a brand spanking new table that was just starting up - always a good thing. Once again, it was business as usual for about an hour and a half as I was really getting nowhere and was still really not playing that well. Fortunately, after five hours of play the rush was about to begin...

In my next post I'll go over the key hands that landed me another successful session at the beautiful Empire.

No comments:

Post a Comment